Monday 30 May 2011

Clutch Conundrums!

I had a small problem today. I say small, but at the time it seemed a lot worse at first instance than it actually ended up being. Driving to Uni this morning, I lost all pressure in my clutch pedal - not a sound, not a smell - no indication of trouble - just the inability to shift gears. To add insult to injury, this occurred on the Tasman Bridge. When you're driving a 4-speed manual and you're stuck in third gear amongst heavy traffic, there's nothing worse. Much to the dislike of surrounding motorists, I had no choice but to keep my revs up and weave around traffic Paul Walker-style until I could safely pull over just off the Bridge.

Upon inspection, I found a very loose clutch cable (almost completely pulled out of the firewall grommet), which had detatched itself from the pedal and was flopping around. In such situations you discover makeshift repairs / neglect such vehicles have had in a past life. One of the previous owners had attached a hose clamp to the cable (evidence that it was already working its way loose), which seemed to be the only thing holding it in place.

Being the disorganised enthusiast that I am, I still had a flat head screwdriver in the car from installing my speakers, and within minutes I was back cruising once more, with a nicely adjusted clutch.

Not wanting to take any more chances, I jumped on EBay and got myself a new clutch cable.



Whilst I was there I grabbed a tripod for my camcorder for the purposes of my YouTube build, and a "Stanceworks" sticker set, sure to add another 10kw! Now I have no choice but to dump my car on its arse ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment