Wednesday 27 July 2011

An inspiration... from a HONDA!

So browsing the net today I stumbled across this little gem (at least in the eyes of the Jap rat-rod scene) - a Civic sedan from the UK which has taken styling cues from bosozoku culture, rat, and Euro, and it works very well.




I'm not a fan of the rust, but I suppose it compliments the style. Whilst the KE55 will stay true (mostly) to the bosozoku style (save for a ridiculous, massive kit), I think that by applying some styling cues from this ride to the '55 will look sweet. With the images of the said civic fresh on my mind, I headed to my local tipshop to grab a set of old school roof racks, with complimentary surface rust, for the measly sum of $5. Whilst there, I found a set of mint white venetians from somebody's house! Not being able to justify $200+ for a set of custom venetians for the '55, I grabbed these for a pittance - $5 also. I will work some magic with my trusty angle grinder and see how it goes - It sounds ridiculous and tightarse, but essentially if it doesn't work, what have I got to lose?

I also disovered that the much sought after GE Sigma lower control arms serve to give a KE55 2.5 degrees of negative camber (by comparison to the 5 degrees gained if the same LCAs are adapted to a KE70). With this in mind, I am seeking some Sigma LCAs, as 2.5 degrees will provide good stance without being too over the top. At $62 per corner, premature tyre wear isn't a big concern!
I have just started to clean up the racks with some rust converter, and they'll be seeing a nice coat of metallic gunmetal to match my restored front grille and side vents. To detract from the pensioner perception will be an AE82 seca rear wing, reverse mounted to act as a front lip, a common trend in Japan with the rolla boys, and the 3" blocks and springs will be going in. Once the venetians are in, the rolla will be a blend of bosozoku, Cali and classic JDM styling - I have slightly departed from what I had originally planned, but this isn't inconsistent with many projects. Rest assured this project will actually be finished, and essentially it's all for fun at the end of the day.

Watch this space for mad stance yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment